Many of us might be learning about this fruit for the first time and many would regret not knowing this amazing gift of nature before. But it’s never too late in our opinion. Let’s get started!
What is Mamey fruit and where does it comes from?
If you get a chance to visit Mexico or Central America, you will come across large brown berries growing on long, evergreen trees. This is a fruit called Mamey Sapote or Mamey fruit. This fruit can be 10 inches long and 4-5 inches wide. The flesh of this fruit is orange or pinkish in color and has a creamy consistency. The task of Mamey fruit is like a combination of pumpkin, peach, cantaloupe, and sweet potato. This massive fruit is indigenous to Central America, El Salvador, Guatemala, Puerto Rico, and Mexico.
The scientific name of this fruit is Pouteria Sapota. Generally, it is called by other names such as red Mamey, Mamee Apple, True Sapote, or just Sapote.
The origin of this fruit history backs to West Indies and Northern South America. It was discovered in Panama in 1514 and in 1529, Oviedo mentioned it as Fruits of New World. Up to 1735, this fruit was nurtured as a specimen in various English greenhouses. This fruit reached the USA in Florida from the Bahamas but in 1919, the United States Department of Agriculture received seeds from Ecuador. Nowadays, Mamey fruit is mostly grown in Florida or Mexico.
It takes 1 year to be fully grown and get mature but you need to trust us when we say that it will be worth the wait!
Nutritional facts of Mamey fruit
The following nutritional facts of Mamey fruit are for 100gm serving size.
|Total Calories||124 kcal|
|Vitamin C||23 mg|
Benefits of Mamey fruit
We know you are eager to know the benefits of this unique fruit. Let’s take a closer look at the magnificent benefits of Mamey Fruit;
- Weight Management: The fiber content of Mamey fruit gives the feeling of fullness, so one would not feel hungry in between the meals and will not consume extra calories. In addition, the presence of antioxidants and nutrients enhances the metabolism and burns the calories or fats inside the body which in turn helps in losing weight. Moreover, the fiber present in Mamey fruit is both soluble and insoluble. Thus, insoluble fiber stays in the stomach for a longer time, giving fullness feeling while the soluble fiber slows down the speed of digested food to exit from the stomach. This helps in maintaining the ideal weight one wants to have.
- Cardiovascular Health: Mamey fruit is rich in potassium, which acts as a vasodilator and lowers the blood pressure level in the body. This low blood pressure, in turn, protects the heart from any kind of strain and refrains from having strokes, heart attacks, or atherosclerosis. Other than this convenience, the high content of fiber in this fruit lessens the cholesterol level within the body, which also decreases any burden on the heart and ward off cardiovascular complications as well as coronary artery disease. Mamey fruit contains vitamin E which retains the oxidation of LDL cholesterol that damages the artery. Hence, rightly categorized as a heart-friendly fruit.
- Bone Density: With the passage of age, the minerals in our bones start to dissipate slowly, which in turn makes us liable to bone fractures, general weakness, and accidents. According to research conducted by Linus Pauling Institute, the Micronutrient information center affirms that fruits and vegetables that are high in the potassium content, makes the bone density elevated which in turn prolongs the bones’ life and also strengthens them.
- Improves Immune System: All the fruits or vegetables that have vitamin C should be consumed on daily basis to improve our immune system. As mamey fruit has a high content of vitamin C, it is best for the effective working of our immune system which diminishes the chances of inflammation. Carotenoids and many other antioxidants present in Mamey Sapote kill foreign pathogens and do not allow infections to take grip inside our body, thus preventing chronic diseases.
- Treats Anemia: Vitamin B6 is needed by the human body to make hemoglobin in blood which brings oxygen to cells and transport iron throughout the body cells. Lack of red blood cells results in anemia and is followed by fatigue, aches, and pains. Many researches have shown that mamey fruit is rich in vitamin B6 and aids in the production of RBC and hence helps to lower the symptoms of anemia and prevents it from reoccurring.
- Healthy Skin: The above-mentioned iron deficiency causes anemia which in turn makes the skin pale and dark especially dark circles under the eyes. Mamey fruit is rich in iron and results in healthy and glowing skin as well as pinkish color to the skin.
- Proper Brain Function: Mamey fruit contains vitamin B3 niacin which is very helpful against Alzheimer’s disease and many other age-related thinking functions that are memory loss, migraine headaches, insomnia, chronic brain syndrome, depression or motion sickness. Many researches have shown that vitamins and minerals present in mamey fruits also aids in soothing anxiety by supporting the normal nervous system and normalizing the hormone level.
- Healthy Eyes: Several researches have shown that the risk of diseases related to eyes escalate when there is Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) deficiency within the body. As mamey Sapote contains 0.203 mg of vitamin B2 and this is 15.62% of RDA, this fruit is very beneficial for protecting eyes from any sort of disease or problem.
- Relieves PMS Symptoms: Premenstrual Syndrome is characterized by mood changes, anxiety, sleep deprivation, and depression. Taking vitamin E and essential oils during these days facilitates the reconciliation of hormones and increases progestogen secretions which lead to relief in unpleasant feelings caused by PMS. Mamey Sapote is a great source of vitamin E and keeping this in mind, they should be consumed before and after few days of menstrual period, to help reduce cramping or anxiety.
Side effects of Mamey Fruit
There are no scientifically proven side effects of Mamey fruit. All you need to do is keep a moderate consumption of fruit and you are good to go.
The bottom line is that though mamey fruit has numerous benefits it is not easily available in all areas around the world. It can be easily purchased in certain parts of the world like Mexico, Florida, or Puerto Rico but people living in other parts of the world have to find alternatives to acquire all the vitamins and minerals present in mamey fruit.