You are missing out on a great gift of nature if you haven’t benefited yourself from Baobab yet. As much as iconic upside tree of Baobab amuses one’s eyes, the fruit growing on it is no less. Holding the record of only fruit in the world that dries naturally on the tree, Baobab is an exceptional superfruit that has some astounding features as well as benefits associated with it.
Let’s know a further about this valuable fruit.
What Is Its Origin And How It Grows?
Called by the scientific name Adansonia, the fruit grown on the tree known as “tree of life” is native to Africa, Australia, Arabia and Madagascar. Citrus in taste, the fruit grows on the tree that reaches up to 98 feet in height. Initially it is prickly with a fur coating and green in colour. After basking in sun for six months it dries up and transforms into brown coconut like shell that is smooth on the surface. The shell is harder than coconut and often requires hammer to break it open, tough isn’t it?
When you crack open the fruit, the pulp of the fruit is all dehydrated. You must be wondering what’s the benefit of it if the fruit is all dried up. But it is actually a gift to us by nature. We get a superfood powder without any hassle that is all natural, organic and packed with rich nutrients and vitamins. We know we must have piqued your curiosity by now. So, let’s get to know some benefits of this amazing fruit and incorporate it into our daily lives.
Benefits of Baobab Fruit:
There is so much that mother nature offers to us that we can lost count easily. But it is never too late to start, is it? Many of you must be reading about baobab for the first time and we feel it is our duty to provide you with all the teeny tiny deets. So, have a look at the benefits of this valuable superfood of nature:
- Loaded with Vitamin C: Baobab is naturally full of vitamin C so much so that it only one tablespoon of baobab powder gives us half of RDA of Vitamin C. Amazing isn’t it? Wait there is more. Being rich in vitamin C brings many benefits with it, the foremost is the healthy and glowing skin. The rich zesty taste makes it very easy to add to juices, smoothies and smoothies. You can add it to certain recipes as well and get a punch of energy along with the taste. A study claims that if a pregnant woman takes 40g of baobab powder daily, it will cover 80% of her RDI of vitamin C.
- Regulation of Body Fluids: Baobab will surprise you at every step. The fruit is packed with potassium, calcium as well as magnesium that are electrolytes our body needs for proper functioning like maintaining bodily fluids and stimulating muscles and nervous system. For those who are into sports or intensive physical activities, mixing this powder in water would be very handy for an instant replenishing.
- Rich in Antioxidants: When talking about antioxidants, baobab fruit outranks many and is ranked as one of the richest source of the antioxidants. And it is no secret how antioxidants impart numerous benefits to our health like protecting against cell damage caused by free radicals, boosting immunity etc. In order to protect our bodies from risks of certain serious illnesses, we need ample number of antioxidants in our bodies and what better source could be than tasty baobab?
- Immunity Booster: Being rich in antioxidants and vitamin C, baobab is a natural immunity booster that we all need in our lives. It has been proved by a study that baobab powder can decrease oxidative damage as well as levels of inflammation in our bodies.
- Weight Loss: For those of you struggling with weight loss, here is a yummy remedy for shedding off the pounds. Baobab powder is rich in fibre both in soluble as well as insoluble (a fruit containing both, that’s a new one we know). Soluble fibre will reduce cholesterol levels in your body while insoluble fibre will help moving food smoothly through digestive system keeping bowels healthy and preventing digestive system damage. Both of these phenomena will aid in weight loss. Moreover, fibre helps you feel fuller for longer periods of time thus promoting weight loss.
- Maintaining Blood Sugar Levels: Being rich in fibre, baobab helps controlling blood sugar levels by slowing down absorption of sugar into the blood which then prevents sudden fluctuations that may lead to diabetes. Moreover, it also reduces the levels of release of insulin that is required for transporting sugar from blood to muscles.
- Iron Absorption: As per WHO, about 40% of the world population is iron deficient and the numbers are only increasing. A lesser known fact is that vitamin C amps up the absorption of iron in the blood. Hence, baobab powder can be your natural supplement for improving iron levels. Sprinkle the baobab powder on your iron containing foods and double the fun.
Side Effects of Baobab:
It is always a good idea to look out for potential side effects of any supplement or food you are about to incorporate into your diet. So, that you can weigh pros and cons and save yourself from getting into trouble later. Let’s have a look:
- Baobab pulp contains trace amounts of anti-nutrients like oxalic acid, phytates and tannins.
- Being rich in vitamin C, an increased intake would lead to diarrhoea, stomach pains as well as flatulence.
- Study needs to be carried out for effects of baobab on pregnant and breastfeeding women.
These are the only cons of baobab worth mentioning here.
Now that you are familiar with all the teeny tiny details of this wonderful natural superfood, it is time to make it a part of your diet already. But before you do, remember that moderation is the key!